Friday, October 08, 2004

Oh man...an update is loooooooooong overdue. blogger almost kicked me out...I couldn't sign into my account for over 2 mos now. I had so much to share after hawaii...but now it seems im juss at loss for words.

But honestly I dunno even where to begin. DISCLAIMER: this will be one random entry.

HAWAII
oh man..was dis really paradise. its been 6 weeks since i got bak. And there is nothing I wouldnt give to be back there. my girls and I did practically eberything there was to do in the paradise island of oahu. From water sports (banana boating, jet skiing, parasailing) to krazy hikes (Diamond head, and a waterfall), to Pearl Harbor (dat was really moving), to a dinner cruise, to ATV riding (dang this was so fun!!! highly recommended), to PCC (polynesian culture center...aka a phatty park-picture disneyland but about culture not mickey...w/ a dope-ass polynesian PCN show), to shopping and of course laying out in da beaches. It was sooo fun but honestly really exhausting. Surprisingly, it was a very spiritual experience for me too, and I learned a lot about myself and my girls. Things I need to work on myself (good stuff). Man its a definite must do again. Next summer anyone?!

MY AUTISTIC MINISTRY
Man work's been krazy!! Every since I left my beloved LOG, I've been reflecting and discerning where my new minsitry would lie. And more and more everyday, I feel He's revealing that it lies with my kiddos w/ autism and other DD (devlopmntl disordrs). Never did I realize what a ministry it really was gonna be until recently. I've workin w/ dis poppulation for about 2-3 years now but it's never gotten as krazy has been the last few months. One of my "easy" clients started turning on me a few weeks ago: hitting, kicking, yelling, spitting, throwing things/furniture at me.

Then a brand-new client who was starting a new program was engaging in really really really bad tantrum...he was on the floor, kicking, screaming and attempting to tear down the door to escape a session with us in the room...when he kicked down A BIG-ass empty book shelf and it came crashing down on my Tutor's back...knocking her out and sending her to the hospital for a week. It was so tramatizing and she had to ride in the ambulance to go to the ER. It was so intense and during this whole time wen the incident occured, the child kept requesting for milk which sounded more like "Miiii" because he has very little vocal skills.

On top of that, our company has decided to pioneer working in residential care homes with DD ADULTS mind you, not kids, in the Palmdale area. And guess who gets to help with that. Yours truly. This one's gonna be a doozy since we won't be working w/ tantrums but rather more adult behaviors along the lines of sexual misconduct, stealing, lying, and hidding from staff for hours when going to community outings, like the mall. Geesh.

This left me a tad overwhelmed jus the other week and forced me to reconsider just what I had said "Yes" to. I always knew growing up w/ have its share of challenges but this was something I really did not even anticipate. I asked myself is this really where my strengths are and where I can be the most help for others. The more I thought of it...I re-realized that this was MY minstry and cross for the time being. And with Him anything and everything can be accomplished. Being in this field for the last few years, I've really SEEN how Discrete Trial Teaching and Behavior Modification really works for this children and these individuals. It's pretty amazing, and I've been blessed to be able to help and be part of the process. There will be those unique sessions and times where I feel discouraged and wanna quit. But the pros mos definitely outweighs the cons. When a child looks at you and it jus clicks...or when he gives a big hug and says "Bergina...Bergina did you get shot down there"...or when they learn that a quarter equals 25cents... ITS ALL WORTH it!!

CONSULTANT-ship
My supervisor position as a Behavior Consultant officially starts next week. When all of seven of my clients are gonna start up. Its gonna be a krazy next few weeks. But the beginning is always the hardest. So we're jus gna have to push thru it all as a Team and have FAITH. Please please please keep me in your prayers along with all of my kiddos and families who will be starting up there behavioral programs next wk.

FEELIN MY AGE
More and more nowadays I feelin' older and older. Discussing how to budget money, paying off loans, politics, and the job market...it's kinda gross. But yet a welcomed change. Surpringly I like growing up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home