Babysteps
When dogs are thrown into a pool, they are instinctively able to tread water and swim. I also hear that the same goes for babies (altho I wouldnt try this wouldnt out making sure). But as adults, we tend to outgrow this assertive lifestyle and develop a more passive one.
I bring this up because of work. There are some companies that just throw you right into the field and u're forced to step up n find ur way. I am fortunate enuff that I'm able to take baby steps and receive lots of training. Right now, I'm in the process of starting up my cases and never realized how involved and long it was going to take. The whole process of starting a new cases goes a lil like this:
1. Assessment- this can take up to 2-3 months, where u meet the child and see what skills they do or dont have. U observe them and see wat behaviors they have that prevent them from leading a normal life. (One of my kids has this obsession with rewinding the VCR when he's watching the snowwhite...he cant even get thru 1 minute of the video bcuz he so badly want to rewind the tape...its sad but these r da things we target to help him get better :)
2. Reports after all the observations r taken, its time to summarize it all in a 16-page report that gets turned into the state. Dengit I thought I left papers behind in college!! But I guess it comes with the territory of the working world. So right now I have 7 clients. Dood so that makes 112-pages. Wowzzers...dats a whole lot of pages. MayB I should be working on them rather than blogging. LoL!
3. Intervention 1-2 months later after everything is approved, we can start the child's program and services!
Pretty cool eh?! So its kinda taking foreva for everything to officially start up. But like everything in life...its a process. My boss said once "It's hard stuff changing people's lives." And its so true! I'm loving my jobby job more and more everyday! There are days when I think to myself...oh Reg what have u gotten urself into. But then there r days when ur working w/ ur kid and he looks at u, u connect, and he just gets it. And in that moment u know its all worth it. You juss never know where a ministry may appear. This is definitely a ministry and I am so glad that I was called to serve in it!

2 Comments:
oh wow, 16 page reports, PER KID?!!! yikes! well, your best friend will be microsoft word. well, i find that mine is microsoft excel. hehhe, that college thing IS good for something, eh? hehhe! well, thanx for taking the time to update your bloggy blog and giving us something to read. and yeah, you have a great ministry reg! i love that outlook on work. it makes it seem so much more worthwhile!
are you serious about the whole baby treading water thing? cuz if you are...how cool is that?!
aww, i'm so froud of you and dee (i know you're reading this too, my guru). you gals are truly accepting His call to serve--especially to the beautiful children you minister to right now. thanks for being such great examples in my life *tear tear*
ps: if i had a nickle for every spelling/grammatical error in this post, i'd have enough money to buy you a dictionary. LOL! just kidding, but not really (dodgeball reference. gotta watch it, regfoo).
pps: 16 page reports? *gasp* well, you better take some time out and blog along the way. that way you could dump off all the errors onto your blog instead of into your reports. just kidding again! what i really mean is...16 page reports for 7 kiddos means we can't talk anymore :( but that's coo, handle yo' bizzzz!
Post a Comment
<< Home