Saturday, March 03, 2007

Lenten Promise

Fasting can be the same as dieting but the motive is not to lose bodily weight but to lose the worldly concerns that weigh on us, to lighten our minds and hearts so that we can truly lift them up to the Lord.

So I came across this book I had lying on my book shelf: The Power of the Cross- Applying the Passion of Christ to Your Life. I thought it would be the perfect read for the Lenten season. This section was really enlightening in regards to how the Church looks upon fasting.

Just some background...Older Catholics before our parents time were required to fast from midnight until mass early the next morning. In the 1960's the Church changed the law to fasting just 1 hour before mass. This was something my parents used to tell my sister and I growing up. But over the years, it was something that I may or may not have practiced. And was something honestly that I didn't give much thought. But when we went on our Marian pilgrimage over the summer, this was something they enforced. So it was nice to get back to the practice.

I liked how this reading describes the practice: fasting before mass is seen as a preparation/expectation of what is to come. The hunger felt is the spiritual "expectation" of the joy that is to come in receiving the Eucharist. Something that I need to focus on throughout Lent, especially when I'm tempted to break my Lenten promises.

This year, I've given up sweets/desserts (ice cream, candy, cakes, etc.) and cream/sugar with my coffee. So far the cream/milk has not been too hard; black coffee is tolerable. But the desserts are SOOOO hard to give up, because of my damn sweet tooth & hormones. So I guess that's where the sacrifice comes in. And where the reflection must begin.

Oh btw...I'm also trying to work on my road rage & my complaining. Thanks for the idea about complaining Dave (that was a good one to add to my list).

1 Comments:

Blogger ro*wing said...

dude, that sounds like an awesome book sister-friend. i have been struggling with this since lent started and now you've revitalized me and inspired me to be stronger and truly make the sacrifice. :D yay for being in solidarity!

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home