What a Wicked Week
This was the first weekend I have had off since the start of my program last June. Entering the profession of nursing, I was pretty much resigned to the idea that the weekends would never be the same. I would have either clinicals while in school and most likely shifts once I'm officially a RN.
But by the grace of God, we were granted both weekend days off for the next 5-weeks. So I made plans with the fam to finally watch WICKED. The sister & I were counting down the weeks, the days, and the hours.
It was a tough week and a rough start to my Peds rotation so I was really looking forward to the weekend off. I was emotionally spent dealing with the dramas of nursing school (I was at my wits end from exhaustion). And then our instructors had the audacity of robbing us of our weekend off because we had to make-up clinical hours. This would mean I would have missed out on dinner before WICKED...and have to rush to our 8pm show after clinicals.
The frustrating part is that they didn't even consult us if we would even be free this Saturday (treated us like we are children). They signed us up to work in the hospital and shot us an email telling us that we had to do so. They just assumed that we were available...as if our whole lives rotated around nursing school!!!! Let me tell u how PISSED OFF this made us all. It was the last straw that broke our backs. For months and months and months, we've put up with the breakdown of communication, their disorganization, and lack of preparation. Some of this was completely understandable (because we are the first cohort class), but some of their requests are just plain unreasonable. It seems like we've jumped from hoop through hoop through hoop.
So immediately we advocated for ourselves and made sure that the appropriate people knew what was going on. Fortunately, we have an awesome Peds lecturer who squared away everything with our clinical instructor and allowed us to collectively decide on a date to make-up the hours. It was reassuring that our voice was heard and that someone was actually willing to listen and allow us to voice our frustrations. This only 1/4 of what happened, some of it was petty, but most of it was ridiculous (the rest you can say is the past). But as you can see, I was ecstatic to know that I could spend the weekend relaxing and recuperating with my family. And enjoy WICKED.
More to come about WICKED...

2 Comments:
i hope you get more saturdays off!!!!
i can't wait to hear about wicked!!!!
it was GREAT wasn't it!?
prayin' for you! hope to see you soon =]
Post a Comment
<< Home