Monday, February 25, 2008

Therapeutic Communication

I have come to learn the art of therapeutic communication and interactions thanks to my psych rotation. Not only did I pick up some wonderful techniques to add to my practice...I also gained some awesome lessons that I can take with me in my daily non-nursing life. My clinical instructor is genius...she has a way with people. She has a natural knack of knowing when something is off, reading non-verbal signs, and allowing people to open up in a matter of 5 minutes.

She's had quite an admirable nursing career: started off as an army nurse in Vietnam war, practiced in Med-Surg & ICU, found her way into psych nursing, got her masters in mental health, became the Clinical Nurse Specialist for a very acute psych unit, started her own private practice as a therapist, became a political activist for nursing, and at the ripe age of 58 decided to begin teaching. To say the least, she made quite the impact on me. I honestly believe that it was fate and His grace that allowed our paths to meet. In the short time we've had together, she's been an amazing mentor and excellent role model of what it a great nurse should be. I am truly inspired and even more affirmed in my decision to enter this profession. And I'm grateful.

Developing good communication skills takes a lot of work, but thanks to this class I'm on the right track to doing so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home