Monday, October 10, 2005

A Model of Sacrifice, Faith, Selflessness, and LOVE

Quiet strength, paitience, perserverance, humility, and tradition: all are virtues possessed by my dad. And are ones that I too wish to attain in my lifetime. From the stories that I have been told around our kitchen table to the example that I have witness with my one eyes, my dad has always been a model of faith, love and sacrifice.

FAITH: He was the first teacher I ever had about the Catholic faith. Growing up, I always looked forward to our family vacations but dreaded the first hour of our long drives in our mini-van...because I knew we would HAD to recite the rosary accompanied by the litany of prayers that went on for at least 20 minutes after we said the rosary.

But its ironic how this dreaded prayer as a child was really the glue that held our family together. There is so much truth to that quote "A family that prays together stays together". On the weekend of my Dad's 60th birthday, we celebrated with a reunion of sorts of family friends and our family rosary group. It was a crazy experience to sit in the middle of a room of friends reunited from 10 years back all gathered in prayer in the name of "Our Lady of Fatima". His presence was really in the room as well as our Mother Mary!

SACRIFICE: The last 2 years have been extra trying for my dad as he was laid off from his 20+ year position as an accountant, and he was laid off not once but twice. But ever since this cross was handed to him...he has humbly accepted as his sacrifice. What was especially moving these last few months was how he prayed on his knees day and night for divine intervention.

LOVE: There are just too many instances to name of when I felt loved. But all I know is thatI am extremely blessed to have a model of Christ as my father. I love you Dad!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home